Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Kids Are Alright

"We're children. You guys are the adults. You've got to take some action." - David Hogg, survivor (See linked NY Times article)

I have 3 teenagers and I've got to say the biggest fear I have for them isn't about drugs, alcohol, grades, relationships or what college they go to but that they'll be gunned down at school.
Having said that, my general impression of kids these days is that they're awesome! I love my kids. I love their schools, I love their friends, I love their soccer teams. The orchestra and bands they play for are amazing. They work hard, they're intelligent and curious, they're playful and have a sense of humor that keeps me laughing and cheerful even during weeks when I can barely leave the house. I honestly don't understand why there's a Baby Boomer cottage industry based solely on bashing 'kids these days'. The drumbeat of disdain and criticism that younger generations go through in the media and mass culture I just don't understand. In my experience the kids are smarter, more interesting more fun and more hopeful than I remember being - and I've got to tell you that makes me glad.
I also am utterly baffled that as a nation our actions regarding the upcoming generations is that we just don't give a damn about them. They get slaughtered in their schools with regularity and yet we still vote for the NRA. We make sure it can happen again, and again, and again, and again. We say with our mouths that we are heartbroken but actions speak louder than words. And what our actions say is that we want it to happen. We need it to happen. We don't mind seeing their blood, guts and brains splattered all over school chalkboards and linoleum floors. We vote and celebrate our death culture. We might as well worship Baal and Moloch.
Every time I overhear my kids having a conversation with their friends peppered with gallows humor about how global warming is going to destroy the world as we know it, or how they better go whale watching now while the ocean can still support life, a little bit of me dies inside. The truth is that we adults have failed our children. We've failed them miserably. We have lived selfishly and we have concerned ourselves, for the most part, with what our kids can give us, how they make us look, how they reflect on us.
When I look at a video like this and I listen to the words of children who have just survived a mass murder more or less sanctioned by a society that doesn't care I am humbled. Listen to their heartfelt plea. It's not on them to change our world. It's on them to try to understand and survive a mad world we've created and brought them into.
The kids are alright. We've got to listen to them. Love them. Get to work for them. They're worth it. And if the world is going to make it it will be because of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it sane. I reserve the right to delete any/all comments as I see fit.